Requirements for conventional training and competency certificates issuing:
- A compliant type-approved simulator
- Courseware (minimum recommendations for the generic ECDIS training are described in the IMO model course 1.27, and recommendations for familiarization/ type-specific training are required by major flag states)
- Qualified instructors trained by a system manufacturer are strongly recommended, and mandatory for major flag states
Mandatory simulator features for ECDIS compliant training:
- ECDIS backup station
- Use of official S-57 charts
- Fictitious area
- Instruments for route planning, work with licenses and chart updates
ECDIS training regulations:
- STCW Code Section A-I/12 and Section B-I/12
- Generic ECDIS Training STCW Tables A-II/1, A-II/2, A-II/3
- Familiarization/ Type-Specific ECDIS Training Ch. I – Regulation I/14-1.5 & ISM 6.3 & 6.5
- Performance standards for shipborne navigation equipment IMO A.817(19), IMO MSC.191(79), IMO MSC.232(82), IEC 80/598
- DNV Standard for Certification No.2.14 Maritime Simulator Systems (August 2014)
- IMO Model Course 1.27
- Multifunctional Display MFD 4000
- Navi-Planner 4000 software
- Radar overlay
- Chart Delivery Server Emulator for charts delivery, charts updates and licenses updates in automatic mode
- Dedicated generic area database
- Training chart folios
- Weather forecasts
- Interfacing 3rd party ECDIS is possible
Navi-Trainer Professional Simulator NTPRO 5000 fully supports the use of the Marine Navigation Systems (MNS 34), thus enabling ECDIS training in compliance with the latest regulations to achieve high level of competence.
Pilot PRO software for iPads is now also available as a part of the NTPRO 5000 package. High-realism and efficiency of training are achieved through the use of real professional equipment used by pilots worldwide.
NTPRO 5000 has been designed in full compliance with the following standards:
- International Convention of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW 2010);
- IMO model courses;
- International SOLAS Conventions;
- Close cooperation with ClassNK on training and simulator development;
- Approved with class notations: INTEGRATED SIMULATOR SYSTEM, NAUT-AW(SIM), DYNPOS-AUT(SIM), HSC, TUG, ICE, AHTS to the Class A Standard for Certification of Maritime Simulators No. DNVGL-ST-0033 April 2018
- The Nautical Institutes and OSVDPA requirements for Dynamic Positioning Simulators
- Regulations concerning special training: fishing operations, VTS operator training, etc.
The Marine Navigation Systems software (MNS 34) is now integrated with the NTPRO 5000 to meet the latest IEC and IHO requirements.
Changes to the ECDIS standards and its impact on ECDIS training
- IEC and IHO revised their standards to reflect the feedback given by current users of ECDIS.
- The standards were published back in August 2015 and the old standards were withdrawn in September 2017.
- This affected all main standards for ECDIS and the following functions within ECDIS:
– Alert Management
– Safety Parameters
– Chart Management
– Route Planning
– Display of Charts
– Source of information for chart data.
What does this mean for ECDIS training?
ECDIS Type-Specific Training / Familiarization
- More and more Port State Controls or vetting inspectors do not check the ECDIS certificates anymore, they check the real competence of the sailors.
- Training Centers will not be able to train the officers to this level of competence using a system which is not reflecting the reality on board.
Generic ECDIS Training
- The generic ECDIS training according to IMO Model Course 1.27 should deliver a general understanding of the work principals of ECDIS according to the latest regulations.
- Major topics of the generic ECDIS training changed fundamentally, e.g. switching from “alarms & warnings” to “alarms, warnings, caution, important indication, and the indication”.
- Existing installations should be compliant with the latest regulations and as a result of this, training centers should be able to teach according to the latest standards within their generic ECDIS training.
The course/ center should be re-approved with updating the ECDIS being used for the training.
In accordance with requirements, Transas ECDIS simulator operates in two configurations:
ECDIS Lab/Classroom for Management-level training
ECDIS Mini Simulator for Operational-level training